Your comments are appreciated...

TO LEAVE A COMMENT, JUST CLICK ON THE WORD "COMMENT" AFTER A POST. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Year Ago Today My Life Changed Forever...

One year ago today was when I had my tongue biopsy, and they found out it was CANCER. The "C" word. The gosh awful "C" word. No one, no family ever wants to hear that word, but through the years our family and our friends have heard that word more times than we like to think about.

We always think in the back of our minds, "Well, they smoked, or they drank, or it runs in the family." NOT SO here. I've never smoked, never drank, and I only know of one cousin that's had cancer on my side of the family. The doctors said my chances were about in the 4th percentile.

Four percentile! and it hits my tongue, of all places! Thank goodness I had been watching those little white spots on my tongue for about 5 years. I'd had several biopsies, and was always kind of worried, but really it didn't worry me a whole lot. Then they started getting more sore and more sensitive, so I went in for a checkup.

That's when Dr. Ghali told me to come back and he wanted to "put me under" and go deeper. I think I kind of knew from the look on his face that he "knew".
I will never forget the look of my family's faces when I woke up and asked if everything was ok.

I had to absorb that and go back the next day for the consultation about the surgery. They first told me 8-10 days in the hospital, and 2 days in ICU, but it ended up being 6 days in ICU, and 12 days in the hospital. All of this is at the beginning of my blog.

I went back to school until May 2. At least it helped to keep my mind of off myself. I had several test run before and during surgery, and nothing else was found - Thank God!

Then when they took half my tongue and sent it to the lab along with the 50 lymph nodes, there was no cancer beyond that, and I didn't have to take chemo or rediation. Praise God! I don't think I could have gone back to teaching if I'd had to endure that also.

Well, most of you know the story, but some don't. I know I was very lucky and so many people don't have the hope that I had. Cancer can strike at any time, and all we can do is deal with it, and pray, pray hard that it will respond to the meds. I had wonderful doctors and a wonderful family that pulled me through when I thought I couldn't face another day. They gave me a reason, and they gave me hope. I am so thankful for everyone that helped me along the way. I had people praying for me all over the world, and that means so much. I still have people on the internet who check on me that I've never met or talked to in person.

So let me say Thanks Again to all of you that prayed for me, and that followed my story. I love you all, and I pray none of you ever have to face the "C" word, and if you have already, I pray you have many wonderful and caring friends and family to help you through each day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shirley, maybe this is why you were on my mind all day. How well I remember this day last year. But now it is all behind you and there is nothing but a bright future ahead. And you are retired! So that means lots more visits and hugs and kisses from those precious babies.