Your comments are appreciated...

TO LEAVE A COMMENT, JUST CLICK ON THE WORD "COMMENT" AFTER A POST. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Sew-a-Long with Whimsical Fabrics...

 I love Whimsical Fabrics! You should visit Danielle's site and her Facebook page. 

  Danielle decided to have a Sew-a-Long, and she made up a Facebook page for those that wanted to participate.
 The group voted, and the pattern that won was the Macy Giggles dress from Little Lizard King. 

 Danielle even made some fabric kits for those that needed fabric, and she gave us a discount on the fabric and patterns.

 I already had some fabric in my stash that I needed to use so I just bought the pattern. 

  This has been fun except for Danielle as she got sick this week, and she hasn't been able to finish the last lesson, but some of us went ahead and finished on our own. We've all been helping each other, and I've really enjoyed getting to know some more people that sew including some that are just learning. 

 You are never too old to learn new things! I love seeing how other people sew certain techniques. 

  I wanted to show the dress I made so I could also link up to Project Run and Play's Linky party.

 Here is the front of the dress. I chose the view with the wide band at the bottom, and I also chose to do a simple monogram on the bodice. (Click on the pictures for a closer view.)


 I went outside thinking I could get better pictures, but the wind was blowing, and I ended up next to the house. 

  This is the back. It only calls for 2 covered buttons and some loops to fasten the back. I didn't like the way the pattern suggested to do the loops so I separated mine, and I like it much better.
 I am very excited to try this on my little granddaughter, Shelby. I'm not sure how the straps/armholes will fit, but I'm hoping I won't have to make any alterations.

 Thanks for looking. There will be another Sew-a-Long coming soon so watch on Whimsical Fabric's Facebook page for the announcement in case you want to participate.

Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

8 comments:

Rettabug said...

Your version turned out DARLING, Shirley! I love those whimsical fabrics & the way you did the buttons...good thinking!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!
Hugs,
Rett

Eat To Live said...

Oh Shirley... How cute that is.

Your Granddaughter has got to be the best dressed little girl on her block.

You do know, you are going to spoil her and you will always have to sew for her"?

Tracy said...

Shirley, you've done it again; absolutely adorable...

Susan said...

Shirley, love the dress. And love the choice of fabric! I have used Little Lizard King's patterns before, bought on Etsy! She gives great instructions....must try this one soon!!!

Simple Simon and Company said...

I LOVE the monogram front and the prints you put together...you are going to have one happy little (and darling) girlie!

Sherry said...

I love the little dress. This sounds like great fun, I will have to watch for the next project. Your work is fabulous as usual.

Rebecca Clayton said...

Hi, Shirley, Thanks for visiting my blog--I love looking at the pictures of your darling sewing projects. Lucky little girl!

You asked me about patternmaking software. I never did buy any--it was too expensive, and I didn't have a Windows operating system back then (also too expensive for me).

Eventually, I found a used copy of a textbook, "Pattern Making For Fashion Design" that explained really well how to make a pattern from scratch, and also how to alter the style of an existing pattern to look however you might want it. It was really helpful. (I got a used copy of an old edition on amazon.com for about $12.)

A lot of the bloggers who've written about their patternmaking software have gone back to purchased commercial patterns. It sounds like you have to put a lot of work into developing the pattern AFTER the computer makes it. Unless you like tinkering with computers as much as sewing, I think it's not a big help.

Good luck with your sewing projects--I love the things you're showing!

Kathy said...

I've seen so many people having drawing for items they've made so I've decided I'd join in on the fun:) All you have to do is go to the Tooth Fairy Pillow Picture and comment on which one you like. Wed. 25th I'll put everyone's name in who left a comment and if I pull your name out I'll let you know and get your address and sent it to you! I'll also put it up on my blog so everyone will know who won. Good luck! www.sewcraftykathy.blogspot.com