Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Liebster Blog Award
I was nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by Mommy's Apron Strings. I think it will be fun to participate, so here goes:
The Liebster Blog Award is an award given by bloggers to up and coming bloggers, most of whom have less than 200 followers (me)(or have been blogging for less than 6 months). It is to show newer bloggers that they are appreciated, and to help spread the word about new blogs. It was created to promote appreciation and recognition among the blog world. Liebster translates to “dearest” (or favorite/best) in German. It is also known as the Love Blog Award." It's been fun to get to know some bloggers better and a great way to pass on the love.
Here are the rules:
1. You must post 11 random things about yourself
2. Answer the 11 questions given by the nominator.
3. Create 11 new questions for those you nominate.
4. Choose 11 new blogs and link to them in your post.
11 Random things about myself:
1. I would have never gone to college if two of my high school teachers hadn't pushed me to go. I had no clue that I could go even though my family was poor.
2. As a young baby, I broke my arm. My brother was supposed to be watching me, and I rolled out of a chair. My mom didn't know for a couple of days. She finally figured it out when I would scream every time she picked me up. That was way back in 1949! LOL
3. My dad was a talented musician, and I can't carry a tune or play any kind of instrument!
4. My husband and I had our first date at a Lettermen concert. We both said, "He or She is nice, but not someone I'd want to marry!" Three months later, we were engaged!
5. My first baby, Emily, weighed 10 lbs. 7 oz, and I did not have a C section! Let's just say I sat on a pillow for 2 weeks!
6. I have been married for over 41 years, and when people say they finish each other's sentences, well, it's true! We have been known to send each other the same text message at the same time without any previous discussion. Kind of eerie!
7. I like to stay up late and sleep late if I can. Sometimes I have to get up early, but it is sure hard! When I taught school, it was so hard for me to go to sleep early.
8. I made nearly all of my clothes in high school. Buying fabric then was much cheaper than buying retail. I was also proud of myself too! I would change up my patterns to make them look different, but used a lot of the same patterns.
9. I worked as a summer missionary for 2 summers in college. Right before we came home when I was in Washington state, we went out into the Pacific Ocean with a family that owned a fishing boat. They ran out of gas, and we had to be rescued at night in the fog. I was puking my brains out and scared to death I would miss my flight the next day - let alone the fact that I might drown on the way in while crossing the bar! The Coast Guard told us the boat could flip in the waves. I never told my parents about that! They didn't want me to go anyway, and they would have never let me leave the house again! Ha!
10. I made pageant dresses for a couple of years to make money after I got laid off from AT&T.
11. I live in a small town in Louisiana right on the Texas border. I like to buy groceries in TX because we don't have to pay sales tax, and plus, we don't even have a grocery store here!
The 11 questions for me to answer:
1. Why did you start your blog?
Actually, I didn't start my blog. My daughter did it when I was having surgery for tongue cancer in May '08 so everyone could see the updates about my surgery. I decided to keep it going to give updates, and added things about family and sewing.
2. What are your hobbies?
My favorite hobby is sewing and embroidery. I have sewn since I was a kid, and it is like therapy for me.
3. Your favorite place on earth?
You mean besides my sewing room? LOL That is hard! I have traveled a few places, and have been on a couple of cruises - which I loved, but I think my favorite place is the state of Tennessee. I have loved going to every place I've been in that state. It just seems to have a special place in my heart.
4. What year would you like to visit for a week as a time-traveler?
I think I would like to visit the prairie days like in Little House on the Prairie. People seemed to have such a respect for loving and helping each other.
5. If you didn't have the job you have, what would you want to do instead?
I'm retired right now, and I think this is the best job ever! I get to spend time with my grands and sew to my heart's contest - most days!
6. What is your favorite food?
My favorite food is pasta - I love pasta with alfredo sauce. I just can't have it as often as I'd like. :(
7. What is your favorite period in fashion?
I think my favorite is the 50's as that was when I was raised, and I love looking back at the old patterns from then. I also like making some of those for my granddaughter.
8. What is your favorite novel or series?
I don't read as much as I used to, however, after I had my surgery, I had nothing else to do as I couldn't sew or do much of anything. My daughter brought me the Twilight series, and I read all of them in a few weeks. I didn't think I would like them, but they were pretty intriguing.
9. What famous person do you most admire?
I admire anyone who was raised in poverty, rose above it to achieve fame, and still remember where they came from. People like Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton. I also admire Nancy Zieman (Sewing with Nancy) as I just met her at a sewing seminar. She didn't let her handicap that paralyzed her face when she was a child stop her from doing what she loves. She is such a sweet and compassionate person who loves to share her knowledge. (coming in another post)
10. What is your favorite restaurant?
It's hard to pick a favorite restaurant. In our area, I guess it would be the Olive Garden (of course for the pasta!) However I do love the soup and salad also.
When we go to Destin, FL, I like to eat at Dewey Destin on the pier. I also like The Back Porch!
11. If you are a crafter, what is your favorite thing you've ever made?
Oh my, I have made so many things in my lifetime. I made my prom dresses in high school, my grandbabies outfits they wore home from the hospital, and a little bit of everything. I think my favorite was Shelby's beach dress when she was 3 as it was featured on the Sew Beautiful Blog.
Now I'm supposed to post 11 questions for the bloggers I chose to answer. I may have to repeat some of the above to help us to get to know them better.
1. Why do you like blogging?
2. Who are the most important people in your life?
3. What is something you would do or attempt if you could not fail?
4. Who influenced your life the most as you were growing up.
5. If you could travel anywhere you haven't been, where would it be and why?
6. Tell us one of your favorite quotes.
7. Do you have good computer skills? If so, how did you learn them?
8. Describe yourself in 5 words.
9. When life throws you lemons, you ______________.
10. Is your best friend in high school still your best friend, or even just a friend?
11. What causes you to get your feelings hurt?
Now to name some blogs that I would like to give this award to. I hope they will have time to respond. It does take time to do this so please do the best you can.
1. Everything Sewing
2. Just Give Me A Needle
3. Original Stitches
5. This 'n That in the Rose Garden